How to Choose a Gate for your Fence
January 12, 2021
You have finally chosen the right fencing, but now you have to consider a gate. It can be a tricky choice because of the seemingly endless options. If you keep these tips in mind, you can have an easier experience.
We recommend researching different gate styles or paying attention to the gate and fence of other properties to help narrow down your options before jumping into the process.
Type of Gate
Typically, your gate material will be determined by the fencing material you have selected. However, gates are available in various different styles which will offer you different things.
- Standard Gate - This type of gate will be a perfect match for your fence with the same material and colour, blending into your fence seamlessly, simply and stylishly.
- Ornamental Gate - These gates are much more attention-grabbing and decorative than other gates. They will have a distinctive ornate design that really stands out.
- Hidden Gates - Hidden gates aim to become a part of the fence, providing an extra blanket of privacy. This can be very helpful if you live in a busy area.
- Double Gates - In some cases a fence may stretch across a larger area like a driveway. Double gates come in handy here to make great use of the space.
- Specialty Gates - Specialty gates are customized to your needs, whatever your unique situation might be. For example, perhaps you need a modified gate to function in an area where there is little room to swing a gate.
Type of Opening
Different types of openings for gates exist and some are better fitted than others to your wants and needs.
- Swing Gates - This is your common gate opening on a hinge that is enforced to prevent sagging.
- Rolling Gates - Rather than a swing open, these gates are set on wheels for support to roll across a large space. It is ideal for large gates in open areas where your gate will need that extra suppor
There are many extra details that go further than just the mechanics of a gate that you should consider for the best results.
- The hinge and knob type
- How the gate matches your house style
- If you want matching rear and front gates or would prefer different gates
- A budget plan
- Maintenance of the gate
- Confirm laws and bylaws of installing gates
If you have more specific questions or concerts, our team here at A&G Fencing is more than happy to provide you with answers. We provide fencing services for commercial, residential and agricultural properties for those looking to install fencing.